Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Free At Last!

cassetteIn the before-time, when the Cassette Deck ruled supreme, I had a fairly large collection of the things.

When the Compact Disc came out, I had a simple solution for my lack of a CD player. Every CD my friends would buy, I'd copy to a cassette. My collection continued to grow.

Eventually, I joined modern times and got a CD player. The cassettes were boxed up, and ignored but not forgotten.

A couple of years ago, I started a personal project at home. I hooked up my last remaining cassette deck to the line-in jack of my computer, and started copying cassettes on my PC. Ah, the glory of MP3.

This past weekend, on Sunday, I copied my last cassette. Over the past 2 years, I have copied between 130 and 140 cassettes worth of old tunes. Eight and a half Gigabytes of vintage MP3's... all with varying degrees of fuzz noise in the background. :)

And a great weight was removed...It's amazing to look at. What used to be 130+ cassettes is now 2 DVD disks. I have thrown away all the old cassettes. It was like ditching a boat anchor.

There are days when I really like computers. :)

6 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

BTW - today at work, our servers went "wiggy" in a big way. From about 9AM until 2PM, I was doing nothing but running around like a madman with our server admin (who was behaving similarly), trying to figure out the problem and get our site back to normal.

We finally got it to behave, and I finally got to leave for lunch around 2. So, that's why there was such a delay in getting this story posted. Today's been *fun*.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

Would this be one of the days when you really don't like computers?

I know it has been for me. I'm ready to become Amish. Is there a form for that?

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Exactly. Last weekend, I really liked computers. Today... let's give the Amish thing a try.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

hehe, I found a great little product to help me with the same task, converting tapes to MP3's... take a gander: Computer Cassette Deck

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger queen_spoo said...

Very cool! I need to do that...

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger dude said...

What's a cassette?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home