Monday, June 25, 2007

Saturday Stories

My wife's old college friend Cat came down to spend Saturday with us. Naturally, I have stories.

Words, words, words

During lunch, Cat had a "forgotten noun" moment. This is when you're telling a story and forget a word. Then you grope madly for the word while feeling like a dolt. I do this far more often than I would care to admit.
Tulsa's Famous Buried (rusty) Car
She was talking about Tulsa's famous "Buried Car". "Why would they bury a car under the ... uh... the... thing where... uh..."

"Water table?", I suggested.

"Yes! That!", Cat shouted, with a sigh.

Words confuse meLater, I had a similar "forgotten noun" moment and my wife supplied the word I needed. Then, she had one and Cat came to the rescue. This happened to us at least 5 times during the conversation.

"You know," I said, "between the three of us we have just enough vocabulary for one person."

Arcade?

Just say no to KryptoniteAt the mall, Cat and my wife decided to check out the women's shoe section of a department store. This is like Kryptonite to most of us males, so I politely excused myself.

I discovered that the Promenade mall in Tulsa has the absolute lamest arcade I have ever seen. How do I define lame? It had:

- 4 video games, all of which were generic "Point Plastic Gun at Screen and Shoot" types from at least a decade ago.

Fiercely guarded treasure- 2 of those "claw" machines, where a metal claw drops down into a bin of toys and fails to collect anything.

- 1 "Pink Panther" teeter-totter thing that looked like it could hold about 12 pounds worth of kid.

- 0 Customers.

Card Game

Joker's WILD, baby!Saturday evening, we had a card game goin' with us, Cat, Scruffy and Genie. It's one of those games where you move from seat to seat depending on who won the last round. I spent a lot of time in the loser's seat that night.

Then, after one particular round, I finished third instead of last! I got to move up to a more comfy chair. Cat had to move down to the loser's chair.

"Well, at least you kept this seat warm for me," she quipped.

ROFL"Don't ask how." I replied.

It was some time before regular activities could be resumed. In addition to the gut-wrenching laughter, Genie's eyes were bugged out to an unnatural degree and Cat was making snorting noises. 'Twas fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home