Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Shorties, Part 3

One last story from the weekend

My parents have a hot tub on their back porch. Naturally, Niece (5) and Nephew (7) think this is the coolest thing in the world.

Row, row, row your tub, gently down the stream...Shortly after lunch, the begging began. I was in the kitchen with Mom and Dad, and Nephew came running in. "Grandpa," he said, "Can I go show Uncle Jeff how I can swim in the hot tub?"

Instant silliness ensued.

Mom: "You can't get in right now! Do you know what time it is?"
Dad: "It's 1:57. You can't get in the hot tub at 1:57."
Me: "No one swims at 1:57."
Dad: "You'll cramp up."

Nephew had a half-confused, half-heartbroken look on his face. He wasn't sure if we were being serious or not.

Dad reached for his glass of iced tea. Looking at Dad as he took a drink, I said, "*You* might cramp up."

Spit Take!I spoke at the perfect moment. Dad spit his drink back out into his glass and gasped with laughter. Since the tea went back into his glass and not on the floor, I didn't have to face the wrath of Mom (which is why this was the perfect moment).

I can't generally zing Dad quite like that, 'cause he zings back. :) I was pleased.

An Offering

While my wife and I were walking around the neighborhood last night, we passed by a couple up on their 2nd-floor balcony.

CAT: Free to a good home.Out of nowhere, a voice from above shouted to us, "Hey, do you guys want a cat?"

Somehow, having a cat offered to us by a shirtless* chain-smoking couple from 10 feet above just didn't sound all that appealing. We politely declined. I was afraid that if we said yes, they'd pick it up and throw it down to us.

Therefore, today we are still cat-less. H'ray!


*Yes, both were shirtless. The lady-thing had a Sports-Bra-Ish thing on. This did not compliment her figure in the least. Ew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home