Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Plague Of Frogs

Road construction continues on schedule at the intersection just south of my apartments (see, Tulsa?!? It CAN be done!). There is one unforseen consequence of the road work, however. The Stubborn Pavement Toads.

Hey, it's more in focus than any Yeti pics you're likely to see!The Stubborn Pavement Toad (Verticalis Notsomuchus) is an odd creature. He likes to sit on paved surfaces. He is native to my intersection, and he only shows himself after dark. His skin is coated in a thick layer of apathy. He will stubbornly refuse to move, even when nudged from behind.

In fact, the only known way to relocate the Stubborn Pavement Toad is to completely obliterate his chosen habitat. Massive road construction, for example.

Verticalis Notsomuchus is now native to the sidewalk just in front of my apartment. As my wife and I walk by, he stares at us in a "I- probably- won't- jump- out- at- you- but- maybe- just- maybe- I- will" sort of way. It's kinda creepy.

Some of you may wonder why I so readily assume that the Stubborn Pavement Toad on my sidewalk is a result of the nearby road construction. Well, I doubt if it was climate change. It seems unlikely that he was refered to the spot by a real estate agent. His wife didn't kick him out of their asphalt lily pad, either. I know, because sometimes we see her out there with him, ribbit'ing sweet romantic nothings to him in the moonlight.

Logical?I think you'll agree that road construction is the only logical explanation.

I hope he moves back home when the road work is over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home