Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Kid's Names

Baby Name BookI've never been much of a fan of naming kids after countries. After this experience, I am even less of a fan.

My wife and I were wandering through Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago (before the current world-ending ice storm), walking past the toy section. A few isles away, I heard a woman start shouting at the top of her lungs, "Israel! ISRAEL! ISRAEL!!!"

IsraelMy first thought was, "Lady, I doubt if they can hear you from here." Then, we walked past the isle where little Israel was engrossed in some toy or other. My first thought may not have been too far off the mark... he was paying absolutely no attention to his mom.

Just imagine if all her kids (she had 4) were named after countries. "Israel! Get over here! Zambia! Put that down! Chile! Stop running! Côte d'Ivoire! Leave the nice man alone!"

Once again, I find myself very grateful to my parents. :)

5 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Maria said...

You're absolutely right about names!I don't believe what names some people give to their children!And the awful thing is that when you are in age to find that out, you can't do many things except creating a shorter version of it but even then you will always have the full in official papers. Since I come from Greece the names are quite diffrent from the english ones but still there are some awful names in our language also that you usually inherite by grandparents and they sound too bad.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Yes, and kids with names that may not be countries, but states or city names.. Dallas, Paris, Austin and the like. Not that people with these names are bad, they didn't have a choice in the matter! Nor do I want everyone to have a Plane Jane type of name, but it can be confusing!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"No France, you don't have to give up just because your sister ran at you. It's only a game of tag after all. Look at how well your cousins are getting along... hey! Britain! Spain! Stop that this instant! Britain, I don't ever want to see you make that gesture again. Now go pick your brother Ireland up off the floor. I think he's passed out again."

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger MetaCow said...

HAHA! When I take over the world, I'm going to name countries after all of you!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Metacow, as long as I get to be the one who gets to spam mail and continueally call all the telemarketers of the world I'm ok with this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home