Friday, February 01, 2008

Great Tupperwear

Bold Super Bowl Prediction: The Patriots vs. Does It Really Matter?A recent conversation about foreign languages and translations got me thinking about something that I learned way back in college. I learned how to say "Super Bowl" in Russian.

The ware of TuppI had a couple of Russian-language classes in college, and one semester a guy asked the professor how to say "Super Bowl". The professor looked at him like he'd sprouted another set of ears. "They say, 'Super Bowl'", he explained. "It's a proper name. You don't translate it. I mean, you could, but then any Russian speaker would look at you like you're crazy and say, 'Great Tupperware? I don't get it.'".

I always think about that around this time of year. Very soon, Great Tupperware Sunday will be upon us. I'm all excited, even if it's probably not going to be much of a game.

Mine.Of course, literally speaking, the "Great Tupperware" will be the one that holds the queso dip. I'll be near that one, if you need me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home