Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Two-Alarm Night

A couple of nights ago, my wife and I settled in for a long winter's nap. Or something. It was later than normal.

It took a while to drift off to sleep that night. I'm not sure why. I just know I was really only starting to sleep deeply when

I love my job!BEEP!!!

Gah! My wife sat upright in bed like a shot. It took a little longer to wake me up, by which time we'd heard the beep a few more times. One of our smoke detectors was whining about a low battery.

1:30 in the morning, and we're standing up on chairs replacing a battery in a smoke detector. I was overjoyed. I used lots of adjectives to describe the smoke detector. I'll let you use your imagination.

Sleep did not return easily, but it did return. I was having a very relaxing dream about

I have lost my capacity for loveBEEP!!!

Gah! What?!? Again?

My wife prowled around the apartment and discovered that we did have another smoke detector with a low battery. It was 4 AM.

There are only 4 smoke detectors in the entire apartment! Two of them went BEEP!!! in the same night, within a few hours of each other.

There were more adjectives.

From now on I'm sleeping with a hammer next to the bed. Just in case one of the other two detectors decides to cry "wolf" in the night.

This is gonna hurt you more than it hurts meTechnology, I will rule thee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home