Friday, August 10, 2007

On The Bounce

Starship TroopersDuring a conversation with friends, Robert Heinlein came up. I was the only one of the group who hadn't read any of his books. Suddenly, I knew what I needed to check out first with my shiny new library card.

The Tulsa Public Library's online system says they only have 4 copies of the book. 2 were checked out, and one was way down around South Tulsa somewhere. The last one was at the Central Library, only two blocks from where I work.

Here's a good stickIt was a large-print edition. I felt a little funny about this. Big Dawg didn't help matters any. He suggested that I could put the book across the room and turn pages with a stick.

When I reached the library, the fun began. The lady on the first floor sent me up to the third floor. But the book wasn't shelved with the other large-print books, so the lady on the third floor sent me to the second floor. The guy there figured out that the book was in storage, and went down to the basement to get it.

Yes, I needed the assistance of no less than 3 people to find a large-print book. *sigh*

Gerardo - Rico SuaveBut I finally got it, and last night I finished reading it. It was quite good. I have to admit though, toward the end I was getting a bit loopy. Every time I read the main character's name (Rico), I would hear a chorus of voices in my head chanting "Ah, lay, Ah lee lay yo" followed by a voice smoothly purring, "Suave...".

I should sleep more, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home