Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice, Ice, Baby

Remember snow?

I remember when I was a kid, there was a magical formula that my winters revolved around. Temperature less than or equal to 32 degrees plus precipitation equalled SNOW! It was so easy, even an 6-year old could follow along.

I wish it would snow. Instead, we got ice. Thankfully, nothing as bad as last winter (at least, so far). But it's still yicky and slippy and whatnot.

It's a skating rink!Here's the nighttime view from my driveway. Last night my wife and I heard tire noises and went out to investigate. On that street in front of us was an SUV trying to get up his driveway. The house just off-camera to the right had a rear-wheel drive truck that was trying to do the same thing. He wound up pirouetting the truck all the way around without ever leaving his driveway. It's a miracle he didn't hit anything.

And directly in front of our house, a truck with chains and no traction was trying to pull a minivan with no traction. He got happy with the accelerator once and nearly ripped off the mini's front axle.

For a solid 20 minutes, there were spinning tire noises coming from at least one direction, often two. At least three times I looked at my wife and said, "Well, there goes the mailbox." Somehow it never got hit, but it was a matter of inches.

Today, I will almost certainly work from home. Stupid ice.

2 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Well I could have worked from home but since my wife had to go into the office, I was out and about anyway. So here I am at work!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger queen_spoo said...

We got snow on Tuesday, but then ice for a couple more days after that with the lovely thaw-reice routine. Got some time off work...yippee!! Here's my capture of the snow:

Our First Snow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home