Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wash The Dogs

My oldest nephew (9 years old!) was spending the day with his gramma (my mom). Mom and Dad have two dogs, and Nephew decided he wanted to bathe them.

This thing is huge in real lifeI admit, it's not my idea of a good time. But Nephew sure thought it sounded like fun. "Gramma, where's your washbasin?" Mom told him to go out into the garage to look for it.

"Cluttered" doesn't quite do justice to what you'll find in my parent's garage. Consider... the garage contains a 1951 Hudson, yet somehow that's not the first thing you notice when the garage door opens. In fact, you might spend 20 or 30 minutes poking around the debris before you even realize there's a car buried in there.

Flashback:
My dad's 1951 Hudson fails to impress my nephew
It's even more impressive when you consider that Dad has recently taken 4 truckloads of junk out.

Nephew bounced into the garage searching for an old over-sized metal washbasin. He may as well have been searching for a needle in 12 haystacks.

Mom grew concerned when Nephew didn't come back after a few minutes. She peeked in the garage and saw Nephew standing on the roof of the Hudson, surveying the wasteland below. "I don't see it, Gramma."

I *never* saw an empty trunk until I got my first carMom demanded that Nephew disembark. He moved toward the back of the car, where the trunk lid was open and pointing skyward.

A quick sidebar. My dad uses the trunk of the Hudson as his toolbox. When I was a kid, he'd close the trunk lid most of the time. Nowadays, there's too much stuff for the lid to close all the way. Go figure.

Zoom-Zoom, baby!Anyhow, Nephew started to climb up and over the trunk lid. Mom told him not to do that, the lid could fall.

His eyes bugged out as he looked at the trunk lid. "It goes *down*?" He'd never seen Grampa's Hudson with the trunk lid down.

After all that, the dogs finally did get a bath. I don't know if they found the washbasin, or if they just filled up the back seat of the Hudson. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home