Monday, April 13, 2009

Weekend

Saturday, we finally had a nice Spring day. That means yardwork!

Back-BreakerWe have a low spot in our yard, so I bought a 40-pound sack of topsoil. Since it was the only heavy thing we were buying I decided not to use a cart.

My arms began to shake while we stood in a very slow line to pay. My wife had to get a cart to wheel *me* to the car, and a handy Lowes man helped her stuff me into the trunk next to the bag of dirt.

At least I still have my dignity.

I took the bag out back. Turns out, a 40-pound sack wasn't enough. Then, we pulled weeds and tossed them into the empty bag. Once again, the 40-pound sack wasn't enough. I guess we had a lot of weeds. :)

Sunday, we went to our church's Easter service. We found some seats near the back. A complete stranger in the row behind us pointed and grinned, saying "I saved those seats for you!"

Har, Har! You're a great crowd... Don't forget to 'tip' your waitress! Har!Ah, the awkward pseudo-joke icebreaker. We thanked him for his low-effort good deed, and got comfortable. Another couple came in and sat down across the aisle from us. The joker behind us spoke up again. "Hi there! I saved those seats for you!"

He only knew one joke, but he was getting as much mileage out of it as he could.

Later, the pastor walked up toward the stage. I heard the guy behind us shout, "I sa-*blerg*" just before his wife slapped her hand over his mouth. Seven different people applauded her. He was shamed into watching the rest of the service from the hallway, next to the bathroom. A group of latecomers thought he was a doorman, and one tipped him a nickle on his way to the potty.

Don't knock it. In this economy, every nickle matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home