Monday, April 27, 2009

Yard Work

My wife really likes yard work. Before the end of last week, she gave me the list of things we were going to do over the weekend:

Ah, manual labor! My favorite! - Edge the front lawn
 - Weed-eat front and back lawn
 - Plant flowers (two flowerbeds AND pots/planters)
 - Fill in low spots in the yard
 - Cover our landscaping with new mulch

We were done by 11AM on Saturday. Yowsah!

I wasn't even allowed to park when I got home from work Friday. My wife was waiting for me outside. She punched me in the head, pushed me over to the passenger side, and lead-footed it over to Lowe's. When I came to, we were in the checkout line. I was told that the orange flowers I picked looked wonderful.

I am morally obligated to pick 'orange' when asked for my favorite colorI'm just glad I was able to contribute.

The anticipation was far too much for my wife, who wound up planting the flowers Friday evening as the sun set. I got to follow her around with a flashlight and answer questions like, "Where'd I lay that shovel? Can you tell what color this petunia is? Is that the brightest flashlight we've got?"

When we finished, we stepped back to take a look at our handiwork. Eventually, a car went by and we caught a glimpse of everything from its headlights. Not bad.

My garage is NOT for sale!Saturday, a neighborhood-wide garage sale turned our quiet little community into a demolition derby. While we finished up the last our of our chores we watched neighbors and friends honk and swerve and park in front of each other's mailboxes. At one point the mailman drove by screaming with his middle finger held high.

Overall, it was fun and I think it was worth it. What do you think?

Pretty!

20 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger V said...

Next week on HGTV - Full Contact Landscaping. If you're not putting your whole body into it, you're not doing it right.


For once, the blog isn't be prosaic, just amusing. Blogword - swilshokAlthough, perhaps that's what the call the winner in Garage Sale Demolition Derbies.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Swilshok? Isn't that Yiddish for a ... um... nevermind.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger V said...

Probably.

Or maybe it's a drink with Bailey's and tequila?

blogword now is "curses", to which my brain automatically supplies "Foiled again!"

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger MetaCow said...

Swilshok is the pain you feel after drinking a cup of the Java Dave's swill that is served in our break room.

Code word is odlkin. I got nothing.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Odlkin is the Norse God of Bad Coffee.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger V said...

This is why I don't drink coffee...well, that and I can't stand the smell.

blogword - jighted How you feel after drinking bad coffee. :)

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Bad coffee is like bad pizza. Sure, it's bad... but it's still coffee. :)

Yes, I'm well aware that I neutered a racy joke for that previous sentence. Bonus points to anyone who knows the joke and doesn't repeat it. :) :) :)

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

You said neutered...

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

Well.... There's bad pizza and then there's Bad Pizza. I consider Pizza Shuttle's shrimp with garlic sauce special to be Bad Pizza. In fact, it could even be Evil Pizza.

Evil Pizza - also a good band name.

Code word = sideolen. I don't know what it means, but it puts me vaguely in mind of butter substitutes.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger V said...

Do you think Zombies eat Evil Pizza? Maybe it's just the neutered zombies, as regular zombies seem quite fond of brains.

blogword is sovague, which could either be "so vague" or something obscure in French about MetaCow's butter substitute.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

MetaCow in Butter Sauce...

(shudder)

C:\FORMAT /TEQUILA PHIL

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

I think that "Butter Substitute" would make a great name for "Bad Pizza"'s first album.

The cover art could feature MetaCow. The pose and ... *cough* ... attire would be determined by the band's genre.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

I prefer a light vinaigrette with some blanched almonds and black truffles.

blogword is marie. The wind cries it.

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

They call the wind Maria. Marie is an Osmond. But I'll give you a B+ and some croutons for the effort.

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Er.. Mariah

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous icanspell said...

Butter Substitue starring the critter who I name with the blog code word: Reshmar

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er.. Moriah.
I'm not sure I should admit I know this.
~Scruffy

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the yard and flowers look beautiful, even if no one else does!

Em

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Midnightbrewer said...

The garden looks beautiful but it's the telling of how your yard came to be that makes it worthwhile!

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff is the Master story teller :)
that's why he has so many fans

Em

 

Post a Comment

<< Home