Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Programmers Lunch

A nerd clusterIf you have nerds, it's a good idea to try and socialize them from time to time. Not that it'll work, but it's a handy excuse to go out and eat.

Most of us went to Olive Garden for lunch one day last week. OoRah was among the first to arrive. He told the hostess we needed a table for 6. "Name?", she asked. "Tim."

No one in the office is named Tim.

LadyPatsFan gave OoRah a confused look. "Never give them your *real* name," was his half-serious reply. The hostess told him they had a table available. "Will the others in your party recognize 'Tim'?"

There are those who call me... Tim..."Uuuhhh.... no."

Despite the best efforts of "Tim", we all got seated together. It is well known at the office that Olive Garden is a favorite of my wife and I, so they asked with a grin if she'd be jealous.

"Actually," I confessed, "She and I are coming back here this weekend as part of our anniversary celebration."

"Oh," said OoRah. "So this is just reconnaissance."

They asked if my wife knew where I was. I had already told her about our office lunch plans, but OoRah hadn't told his. "She'll find out when she sees the receipt on our credit card bill," he said with a smirk.

A few minutes later, his phone buzzed. "Hi, Honey. Uh... we're at lunch. Yeah, a lot of us. Uh... Olive Garden..."

Caught in the act!Big Dawg's grin went from ear to ear. He pointed and shouted, "BUSTED!"

It's a miracle we didn't get thrown out of the restaurant for social incompetence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home