Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Rule

Good stuffI recently listened to the AudioBook version of "Wizard's First Rule", by Terry Goodkind. If you like fantasy novels (wizards, dragons, magic, swordplay, that sort of thing), then you'll probably like this book.

I especially liked the "First Rule" itself. The wizard shouts it during a loud moment in the book. "The Wizard's First Rule is that 'People are stupid!!!' They will believe what they want to believe."

Aw yeah. You have my attention, Mr. Wizard. Well played.

I listened to the AudioBook during my commute to work. One relatively cool morning I rolled slowly through pedestrian-choked downtown streets with my windows down. The volume was up.

Wizard's Second Rule! Haircuts are for losers!My wizard bellowed, "PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!".

A crowd of pedestrians turned and glared at me. I smiled and waved as I passed by.

Wizards are awesome.

I'm thinking about making that "rule" into my new ring tone. :)

4 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Word of advice. Pretend there's nothing after the first book. You'll be a happier man in the end.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger MetaCow said...

I read the first 3 books in the series and I have to second P-Ziddy's advice.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Good to know. :)

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger LadyPatsFan said...

Isn't that just the toasted toads truth? I submit exhibit A - Snopes.com - and rest my case.

Coincidentally I just finished WFR on audio a few weeks ago. Even having read it a few times in the past, there were still several passages where I wished my commute was just a tad longer.

As for the sequels, I disagree with Meta and Zid. The series is actually good up through the 4th or 5th book. Goodkind really lost me at Pillars of Creation - a story in which the protagonist makes a 20 page appearance at the end of the 560 page book. I ended up waiting for the series to be finished before I tried to pick them up again.

I'll let you know if my opinion has changed when I finish the series. WFR took me just over 2 months, so I should have an answer around Spring/Summer 2012. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home