Monday, April 23, 2012

Farewell, Spanfan

Last week we said goodbye to Spanfan. She was one of our BEST.

During all the heart-felt "goodbye" stuffs, Cowboy spewed out an especially cheesy line. "When they make a 'Mount Rushmore' of Programmers, SpanFan will be on it."

I was trying to think of something our department could do for her before she left. Something a little beyond simply taking her out to lunch. Then, it hit me... she's got a five-year-old son who makes little stick-figure drawings for her all the time. She's got some posted on her desk, and others on her Facebook wall.

I emailed my idea out to the department. *We* should all make goofy little drawings for her! LadyPatsFan even volunteered to bind them into a yarn book for her.

Of course, for *my* stick figure drawing, I went back to Cowboy's cheesy statement. I created:


The Mount Rushmore of Programmers. SpanFan, Bill Gates, Gandhi, and Gandalf.

The funniest part was when I showed the drawing to my buddy Scruffy. His hyper-analytic mind broke when he saw Gandalf on there. "Gandolf wasn't a programmer!", he complained. "And Gandhi was?", I countered.

I also love that my Gandhi looks so much like Groucho Marx. It's silly, but it makes me happy.

Farewell, Spanfan! We miss you!

------------------------------

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know."
― Groucho Marx

5 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jeff. I am already missing everyone ;_;. Been reading lots of doucmentations, code that does lots of stuff but nothing make sense yet. Everyone is super nice to me, that's a plus.
Holler if you need anything :)

-- Spanfan

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention... it was a great idea, best gift ever!

--Spanfan

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Every now and then M16 turns around in his chair and stares at your empty desk. Then he just sighs and deflates a bit.

I think we're gonna need to get him a puppy or something.

Actually, we could all use a pick-me-up, 'cause we do miss you! I'm glad to hear things are going OK at your new job, and I'm extremely glad to hear that you liked your yarn book. :) It was a lot of fun to draw!

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to bring the blow up monkey and set him at my old desk. It might take a while for a human to fill that spot but I really hope they'll fill it soon :)

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

I've actually considered it. :) We'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home